Sunday 10 May 2009

I would assist individual customers with their requirements...

.. or to anybody else - I was a checkout boy.

I'm currently in the process of re-writing my CV, and I get unbelievably worked up about the amount of jargon I have to put in.
I saw this:
http://www.exacteditions.com/exact/displayPage.do?issue=4926&page=6&term=its+a+spade+not+a+earth+relocation&size=3

and I think I agree entirely.

Why is it that companies think we need to show our skill by re-wording mundane tasks into really exciting things.
I suppose the thing which really annoys me is that I know I'm not that good at it, and people who are really good at spin will produce better CVs but not neccesserily be any better at understanding the stress analysis on a submarine at high pressures.

I guess it should be no surprise that those in the top jobs (i.e. running the country) are good at spin rather than economics, because if they had spent time practising financial skills they would have never got into a place to use them.
Why is this insanity allowed to continue?

In some companies it gets even worse, as with IT (for example) those who make the decisions are increasingly a long way away from those who understand what can and can't be done. And so we get into situations where a certain large aerospace company does its finite element modelling on a system that crashes every few minutes because no one in the 'decision room' has thought to spend a few minutes recompiling the code for the new computers.

hmmm

still its all about playing a game;
GCSEs and A-levels are not about intelligence, they are about jumping hoops, and writing CVs is just the same.
However I don't like these sorts of games, which is possibly going to count against me.



oh well, I guess you just have to grin and bear it.. I'll get of my soap box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment