Tuesday 26 May 2009

With confidence

One morning I was praying the morning prayer as set out in Common Worship
[link here].
I don't do this often, I prefer to either use no liturgy or Franciscan.
Anyway, that aside; something struck me - (at the very end of the page linked to)

The Lord’s Prayer is said

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,
as our Saviour taught us, so we pray [modern version]

OR

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,
let us pray with confidence as our Saviour has taught us
[traditional Lord's prayer].


I couldn't help but notice the lack of confidence in the modern edition.
Seriously, the traditionalists get to feel confident in what they say, but anyone else is a bit unsure....

I feel a sermon analogy is just waiting to be had.


Perhaps it tells us something about the way the CofE views itself now...


It is at moments like this I sigh gently, and wonder why I am still anglican.
The Christian message is fine - and still true, but the CofE... well... *sigh

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they're now SO confident that they don't need to mention it!

    Or, well, maybe not. Still, bless their hearts, they TRY.

    ReplyDelete