Saturday 13 June 2009

election madness

Parties in the streets...
crowds cheering as the results are read out..
these are just some of the things that don't happen at a british election.


I remember however the fuss that was caused when Obama was being elected. Don't get me wrong, I do think that was important, but why don't we care about our own elections?
Even x-factor gets more votes....

Perhaps the most annoying thing to me, is that it doesn't make sense...
When you have a general election, or a council election, or a european election - we seem to produce vastly different results.
Do some people think "I don't trust them with governing my country, but I'll let them try to organise the buses"..
or "I'll let them mess up Europe but not westminster"

I know it looks like a massive swing to conservatives, but if anyone really believes at the next general election lib-dem will be second with labour coming up in third place, they are sadly mistaken.


So yeah I think my main gripes with the british public are
a- why do vote so differently at different elections?
b- why do so many of you not vote?


I heard one friend say he 'spoils' his ballot paper, as a protest against the system. I wonder if anyone who doesn't vote actually believes that will change something?


*sigh


When we have our next general election, I'm sure that it will produce a little bit more excitement than the european election, but still not as many votes as x-factor - because ofcourse in a recession it's much more important to make sure a hopeless singer gets another try rather than to make sure a good government is elected to oversea the economy. [/sarcasm]



ok rant over

No comments:

Post a Comment